Friday, March 5, 2010

pay it forward

In the month of January I wrote a post about my mother - and how I felt about death.  Just last week I wrote another post about this sweet little angel here at the apartment community that I manage.  Most of those responses were something to the extent of me being a great friend and person....and I feel the need to clarify.
I was not looking for a pat on the back, I just wanted write my feelings out.  I had so many thoughts and emotions.  I was so thankful that I could be there for Jennifer that day - and that I could "pay it forward."
The day my mother passed, she was here with me at work.  It all happened so quickly.  I had to rely on friends to find and take care of my children until I could get home.  I was not in the frame of mind to be worried about those things.
I, personally, was grateful that I could help someone else in such a stressful time.  I felt joy and comfort knowing that I was doing for someone that had once been done for me.
Today I attended the funeral. If funerals could be called uplifting - this was one!  WOW!  Both mom and dad were the speakers, and they did an AMAZING job. They are spiritually in such a wonderful place.  I do not doubt that days and nights will be hard, more tears will be shed, and days will sometimes be filled with anger.  These are natural emotions. (I still yell at the heavens)
When my mother passed I learned some very VALUABLE lessons in life.  EVERYONE NEEDS SOMEONE!  So many came to my rescue.  I never knew until then how even a simple card would mean so much. 
Pay it forward!  When you have a thought to call someone, drop a little note, or visit them - DO IT!  They may need it more than you can imagine.

5 comments:

Missy said...

I'm sure that Family has thought many times over what a blessing you are. I know you were not looking for a "pat on the back" but your story was beautifully told and so touching...thank you for sharing.

christine said...

Amen! I know, so well, how you feel.

Reading your entry tonight brought back so many memories. There is such an out pouring of love and kindness when tragedy strikes, and it's sometimes overwhelming. It's nice when we can part of helping someone going through their tragedy. And because we have gone through something similar it gives an insight into how to best help others.

Afterwards when we share our thoughts and feelings people often do compliment us, and yes, it's quite difficult to accept the love and back patting. I don't have it figured out myself yet, but I do know I feel the love coming from them. If nothing else that strengthens me to move past my own grief, it gives me something positive to focus on and refills my cup so I can be ready to help again.

Just know that all that back patting came about because you are loved.

Sending you lots of love and a hug too.

Miken said...

i totally agree with that - unfortunately i usually don't follow through with my good thoughts. this is a good reminder for me.

angie curtis said...

Hey it was fun seeing your comment on my page. I didn't even know you looked.

Amy C said...

Margaret, You really are sweet and I know that you weren't looking for a pat on the back (I just read through the post and comments), but you did exactly what we should all do when someone is going through what that family did, but not everyone does. I am thankful that you have touched my life, too.

Hugs,
Amy ♥