Friday, February 26, 2010

One Life

The day was not what I had expected. I put a line of facebook about eating snickers, and needing to put it down. I was working on a resident file. And then, the sirens.


Three police cars sped past my office, followed quickly by the ambulance. I grabbed my keys and ran out the door. The fire truck was rounding the bend. I noticed they stopped in front of a specific apartment. My heart dropped, and ran faster. I entered the apartment, she collapsed in my arms. “She quit breathing, Margaret.” The paramedics took this sweet little angel out the door. The mother cried and little sister ran naked in the house. “I don’t have a car, my husband is at school.” I dressed baby girl, and told mom I would be right back and I would get her to the hospital.

Traffic has never been so slow. We hit every stop light. Mom cried, and rambled through her thought of what had just happened in the last 24 hours. She had just talked to Dad 20 min ago, and told him something was wrong. She told him she would call if anything changed…

We waited in the “rose room” at the hospital for Dad. Mom was told to wait for Dad to go back into the room – still no news. Dad walked in, mom fell into his arms, crying. He holds her close and tells her that she has done everything right.

Baby girl and I go for a walk, I’m sure Mom and Dad needed to visit and hold each other alone. I then see the doctor go into the room. The emotion on his face is sad and lost. It only takes a few minutes, and then Mom, Dad, Social Worker and Doctor exit the room.

Dad is pale, slumped over, with hollow eyes. His hand is in moms back, guiding her forward. She is crying. Her eyes are red from crying. She is holding onto Dad as if her legs may give out at any time. They are guided into the ER. The Social Worker comes back to inform the Bishop and myself that our sweet little Gwen has passed away.

I instantly well up with tears, finding it hard to hold back. I squeeze baby sister, and kiss her head. She looks up at me with concern.

I spent the next few hours walking with baby sister around the hospital. My cell phone would not work, so had more than enough time to ponder and think about the event of the day. This sweet little sister having no idea what has just taken place, how her family’s lives would be changed forever.

I was asked to take baby sis back to say good bye. I entered the room, the same room I said goodbye to my own mother in. The feelings rushed back through every inch of my body. I tried to keep myself cool and collected for the family’s sake. Baby sis kissed big sis on the head, and said goodbye. She then looked at me and said, “walk?” We left the room, walked some more.

As I left the hospital last night, I wasn’t sure how to express my own feelings. My heart was heavy for this sweet family. Instantly I was so thankful that they were good members of the church, that the Bishop was there to help and guide them. I knew in my soul that they would be okay.

Mom is expecting another baby – maybe that was all a part of the plan. They will be blessed with a perfect little angel soon.

Sweet little Gwen struggled in this life. She was born deaf and blind, with numerous other genetical problems. Her parents were amazing and the love that they had for her shown through every movement they made with her. I often saw them taking the girls for walks along the River trail. They would stop in my office and get suckers and visit.

I feel so blessed to have known this sweet little angel.

Good bye sweet girl.

4 comments:

christine said...

I'm sending you a *hug*. What an angel you are. You were totally in the right place at the right time. I hope you're feeling better.

Celeste Russell said...

Big hugs from me too! They needed you and you were there! They will never forget how you helped them that day!

Gingersnaps said...

Oh Margret, my heart goes out to the sweet family. What a hard road. They are so blessed to have a sweet friend like you in this time of need. Hearfelt prayers go out to everyone at this time!

You are one strong girl! I can't hold back the emotion just reading your post ... let alone being there! {{Hugs!}}

[BevS] said...

Margaret-you definately were the answer to someone's prayers! You are such a great friend to all.