Thursday, January 27, 2011

should I make Lemonade?

The saying when life gives you lemons....
Well, I found the most awesome little cookbooks ever that say you should make Lemon Poppyseed cake, and baking does calm my soul. However - I think I might just have to deal with this one.
My 24 yr old, un-married little sister is having a baby. She is EXCITED, I am worried. I haven't slept much since the news. She has a boyfriend (baby's daddy), and he is also excited and supportive. I should be too.
I was 19 and pregnant, working 2 jobs and had a shotgun wedding. Were still here after 11 years in March. Marriage is hard enough just learning about each other -no less starting right off with a baby.
Elizabeth wants me to support her, I am struggling. Good thing for big sisters, Jennifer went to the doctor with her. Dr. confirmed she is 14 weeks. Due in the heat of July.
If you know my family, or my sister, maybe you understand my concern. I love her very much. I want her to be happy. It's just hard.
Please say a prayer for her. Pray that she will be healthy and safe. Pray that this sweet little one will grow healthy inside her, and grow to full term.
Pray for me too.....I think I need them too. :)

FYI - My blogging buddies are the best. You have NO IDEA how much you inspire and help me daily. I love the comments you leave me, helping me to be a better person, and know that we all have rough days. THANK YOU!!!!

Happy Thursday

8 comments:

Unknown said...

I feel your pain with this one. When you see a younger sibling having a baby who you worry about anyway just tripples it!! You will have to tell me everything next time were together. Its so hard but you have to be there just for that sweet little baby!

christine said...

Oh Margaret. My heart is aching and yet excited at the same time. You're all in my prayers.

Celeste Russell said...

Love you girl! Keep your chin up....I hope things get better soon for you! You are always in my prayers now I will pray just a little harder! That baby will have the best family ever....it already does! I SAY MAKE LEMONADE!!

KarKar said...

Edgy Excitment.. thats how it was for me.

I was in the same boat.. Just over a year ago. Such a crazy position to be in not just for myself but for my immediate family and for my, now husbands immediate family. It was a HUGE change for everyone. The baby wasn't just for myself and Chris to think about, it was on everyone's mind of how it would all work out. The best thing that ever happened was having our baby at the most craziest time of our lives. I was the younger/older sibling that everyone already worried about constantly. Being pregnant quickly pulled my head out of my ass and had me realizing the responsibility and life changing world I was going to start living in.

The good thing is, that your sister isn't living the teen life, she's 24. The not married thing will be okay.. but the baby momma and dad will grow in all of this. But for you to be her biggest support and be excited will let her know that you love her and she will know that she can come to you during her pregnancy and when your new niece or nephew is here. She will know that you love her and the baby she is having isn't a "problem".

Family is the most important thing I have learned through this past year.. I never respected it before. From the huge craziness of having Reese, it has made myself and my shadow of 10 years, my son Jax so happy. We now have a place in our already existing family and have created a new security with the family that Reese completed.

I don't pray..but I will think of you, your sister and ALL your family that is going through this new crazy time.

Sure love you and admire your strength in everything you have experienced. I'm really excited to hear about your new growing family member!!!

Elise DeMille said...

Oh how I can relate!! It's so hard to see someone you love and care about go down a path that you may not have chosen for them. Be supportive and love her anyway, she will come to you for advice and comfort and I know she looks up to you. You are a great example and role model for her! (Look on the bright side, her, baby and boyfriend won't be living with you, right??) :) Happy thoughts!!

Missy said...

Sometimes "Family" just means putting your arms around each other and being there...no matter what!
You seem like the glue that holds your family together....so show them all how to make lemonade!!!
You're all in my prayers.

Jess said...

Ok so my total 2 cents? Here it goes... LOVE UNCONDITIONALLY... no.matter.what. It will BE the hardest thing you will ever do. I imagine because she is your little sister you don't want her to make a single mistake ever, or go down a path that is "scary". But here's the deal, the baby is already on it's way and it needs all the love your family can give. I'm confident your Mom is up there preparing this awesome spirit to join your family(I may not be the most religious person ever, but I really do believe this). Just go with "Fake it til you make it". Give the advice you can, give the help you can, give the love you can. It really will all work out the way it's supposed to...

Jenny said...

My old neighbor/friend Ali is the author of those cookbooks. She's not old, she just doesn't live here anymore.

Good luck with everything!