Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Attila the Hun

If any of you would like some info on Attila the Hun, I am a PRO! Until last night I wasn't even sure who this was. Jayson had to tell me that he was a character in Night at the Museum...oh...THAT Attila the Hun...DUH! (the Chinese lookin dude, that's mean). Attila was the fierce 5th century leader of the barbarian group known as the Huns who struck fear in the hearts of the Romans as he plundered everything in his path, invaded the Eastern Empire and then crossed the Rhine into Gaul. He was the most feared King of the Huns. Some say that he was a God, others called him the Scourge of God. He died by drinking too much. Attila passed out flat on his back. It was then and there that Attila had a massive nosebleed which caused him to choke on his own blood, on his wedding night!
Joslynn is FAILING, yes BIG FAT F...in 4 CLASSES! How do you fail 4 of your 5 classes? It has been an ongoing struggle with us. In fact, Jayson and I fight over this problem most. Last Sunday was the big one. Yes people, I told him I was done! I had a BAD cold, I was tired, my body ached, Ashton and Addy just wanted to be loved, and we were fighting. Fighting about Joslynns grades. She didn't care...she was in her room. So why were we in such a big fight over her grades if she doesn't care?
I spent the night on the couch (I actually love sleeping on the couch), and didn't sleep AT ALL. Between the cold, and wanting to beat Jayson in his sleep, I just stayed up all night trying to figure this out in my head.
Monday was ROUGH, but thanks to my dear friend, she talked me through it. She made me realize that I need to let Jayson handle Joslynn. As much as I love her and do not want her to fail, Jayson needs to take care of it. I have to step back, and let Jos make her own choices.
*She is currently grounded from her IPod, cell phone, TV, Computer, "going out," home phone, and pretty much anything else you can think of, and she doesn't even care!*
I came home Monday, hashed it out with Jayson and then informed both Jayson and Joslynn that I loved them both very much, but mentally I can not be evil step-mom, or the only one who takes care of Joslynn anymore. I told both of them to talk between each other to figure out shit, that It was no longer my problem!
so....a week went buy, and I said nothing...one whole week! You have to realize what this means for me to shut up for a week! Yesterday was parent teacher conf. Ashton and Addy went to the sitter, and Joslynn GOT to come to work with me so she could sit in the back office ALL day and do supervised homework. On the way to work, I was compelled to stop in at MC for parent-teach conf (shocked the holy hell out of Jos). I AM SO GLAD WE WENT! Her teachers were nice enough to go to the classrooms and get all of her missing assignments. I wasn't upset, I didn't really even say anything. She got in the car and started to cry. She told me how sorry she was, and that she knew she could do better.
5 hours later, and a gazillion assignments later, we started to work on the report due..TODAY! Why would you NOT wait until the last minute to do a report that needs 6 sources? Hence, Attila the Hun.
At 1:30 am we finished...Jos and I...learning, writing, and discussing Attila the Hun. What did I get - a big HUG, and a "thanks for saving my butt!" I didn't even get mad last night. It was good. We connected. She asked. She was thankful. Jayson was thankful. I was tired. And today my friends, is a new day!
Maybe I'm a little "Attila." To some I am a God, to others they fear me. Oh, how I wish people thought I was a God.

7 comments:

tiffany said...

Hey! I love reading your blog...I connect through Em. Anyway, you learned a valuable lesson!!! Letting natural consequences come, and making it known that you are not the enemy, but really want them to succeed! They eventually do get it, but boy is it hell sometimes!

Keesha said...

I can totally relate... don't you just love playing the role of the "evil stepmom?" Sometimes I really wish that we had my stepdaughter more so I could actually have those moments with her. You are awesome and some day she will REALLY be greatful for everything you have done for her!

Kris said...

I found your blog and it is way cute....now I will have another to add to my list. Way fun! Thanks for sharing. Kris

Celeste Russell said...

Way to to girl! Keep up the good work and you are a goooood Step Mom!

[BevS] said...

Margaret-you are not alone!!! Did you know that after Austin's PT conference, that I am a proud owner of an X-Box? until all of his assignments are turned in? and a cell phone? What's next for me? World Domination!

Unknown said...

You are so awesome Maragret and I Love that you will spill your heart out! She WILL be thankful one day! At least you care and love her enough to want her to get good grades and do good in life, right now she thinks your being the evil step mom but from everyone else's perspective you NOT at all!! I bet it was hard not to say anything for a whole week! Good luck-I wish I could give you some advice! You just dont realize what you have got until your older it seems like!

Sandi said...

Since I know you read me, and thank you for the sweet comment tonight, I do have to tell you that Jos sounds an awful lot like me.

AND?

AND?

I have zero advice. I would hate to parent me.

Just love her even if her grades suck.

I was grounded from EVERYTHING from 8th grade through marriage. It doesn't do shit. I should say, it didn't work at all for me.

I wish you were here and we could go have a diet coke and cry together. If you ever do come down, email me and lets meet up.