Tuesday, January 19, 2010

The Plan

It's funny the things we choose to remember in life. The events, the exact thought or moments. January 19 will ALWAYS be a day of remembrance. January 19, 2007 I lost my mother, my best friend. She wasn't always my best friend...we had our days. If I could take back just one of those bad days today I would. I was a mean, stubborn, rude teenager who knew everything. No one could tell me what to do or how the choices I was making would affect me forever.


My mother was a saint. I am positive that she was one of the chosen few sent down to this earth on a mission. A mission of love, acceptance and happiness. She completed it and returned to our Heavenly home.

I tell myself daily that it is all a part of the plan. This was the plan. She completed her task here on earth, and returned home at her chosen time. It was not my choice when her mission was complete. I wish I could have picked that time, knew it was coming, and had some warning.

As most things in life, we have no warnings. Things happen and we have to be prepared. When we will lose something or someone is unknown. We need to be prepared - but how do you prepare for death?

The day my mother passed away is a day that runs through my head constantly. I can tell you specific things about the early hospital visit for her heart stress test, helping her into the car, calling my dad to say hi, the stop light we sat at, the conversation as we walked into The Old Grist Mill for lunch, the Diet Coke I bought at "the old" Maceys, the color of her shirt, shutting the door, Elizabeth yelling something was wrong, the sound of her last breath, administering CPR with my very dear friend Devin, the 3 EMT's, the sound of my father’s voice on the other end of the phone line, my little sister collapsing in my arms, calling my brother and sister, Jennifer and I embracing in the ER parking lot, Andrew holding up my father, touching her, leaving her, driving home alone, phone calls, feeling the love of others, feeling alone, telling my children, crying, understanding, explaining, sleepless nights on the couch at my dads, never wanting to go home, dressing my mother in her temple clothes, family, friends, crying, screaming into the heavens, wondering why today, why now?

Many of us have lost someone that we love very much - family, friend, a pet, a neighbor. Each person/thing can play an important role to us. How we take the events and learn from them is up to us. I take my mother’s death as an experience to learn from. I could have crumbled and died the day my mother left this earth, but I didn't. I have a family, children, a husband, and my dad. I chose to remember her - each moment that she gave me. Advice about marriage, kids, love, acceptance, the gospel, the plan.

Since my mother’s death I have become closer to those who have always been in my life. People that I took for granted, people I never spoke to, people I never appreciated and loved. I forgave those I thought had done me wrong, only to realize that It was my own stubbornness. I have a closer bond to my father than ever before.

I believe in the plan, I know the plan.

But, I still miss her!

I love you mom, until we meet again....

8 comments:

Unknown said...

Ok so now that im sitting here with tears running down my face I kindof am a little jelous! Wierd I know but you get to realize things that most of us dont. Like how to love someone because you never know if its the last time you will ever see them again or that you know you need to have stronger better relationships with others because of your loss. I admire you so much and think you are amazing! Thanks for sharing all that and thanks for always being my friend!! I love your guts too :)

Kris said...

Thank you for sharing that and reminding me to cherish every moment of every day! I'm sure your mom is so proud of you.

Jenny said...

Your mom was a saint. You are doing a great job keeping her legacy alive.

The White House said...

I am also sitting here with tears rolling down my face. I love your family and your mom was a saint. I think that you wrote that beautifully! You are such a wonderful person.

Margo and Dave said...

I love you and your family! I remember exactly where I was when your Dad called my mom. We were in Phoenix and all we wanted to do was go home and be with you guys! Thank you for being you!

The Summers said...

I only knew your mom for a short time but I thought she was such a neat lady! She had all the patience in the world with my WILD Kendrick! I can relate to so much of what you said but I hate to admit that you are in a better place with your situation than I am. I need to know how you got there. It haunts me daily. I was asked to speak in church on faith and I think that this is the direction I want to take it so can I use some exerpts from your post in my talk? It was very inspirational and thought-provoking. Thanks so much for your insight!

RoBiN said...

Your mom was such a special person Margaret. You are too! Thank you soo much for sharing! I really needed to hear it. :)

[BevS] said...

Margaret,
Reading about you describe your mom...you sound just like her!!!Yep,the apple didn't fall from the tree!