Sunday, May 17, 2009

Cinnabun....HEAVEN!

My girlfriend Kaehla and I usually get together early Saturday mornings and make homemade spudnuts (doughnuts with mashed potatoes), and cinnamon rolls. I apologize to those of you who have not yet had one of these HOT, melt in your mouth treats. Put your name on the list, and you'll be on our next delivery. The kids will be selling them on the corner again this summer, so you can just make an early trip to Paradise on a Saturday morning. Were usually frying, and baking by 7 am, and they go FAST!
This Saturday, HOWEVER, I found a recipe on my new fav. blog. The Sisters Cafe, for Cinnabun Cake. This was much easier, quicker, and better clean-up than the cinnamon rolls. Don't get me wrong - I love the whole process of mixing, raising, rolling, lathering, sprinkling, rolling, cutting, raising, baking, and glazing...but this one was mixed, cooked, and eaten before I could snap a good picture.
This ones for all of you who love cinnamon rolls, but don't love the "dough" process. One thing I did notice: We added nuts to the sugar mixture, and they seemed to sink right to the bottom of the pan and leave a slight crust to the bottom. Some may love, but I didn't. I would probably just sprinkle the nuts on the top next time.

Cinnabun Cake
3 cups flour
¼ teaspoon salt
1 cup sugar
4 teaspoons baking powder
1 ½ cups milk
2 eggs
2 teaspoons vanilla
4 T. butter, melted

Cinnamon Mix:
2 sticks butter, softened
1 cup brown sugar
2 T. flour
1 T. cinnamon
2/3 cups nuts, optional

Glaze:
2 cups powdered sugar
5 T. milk
1 teaspoon vanilla

In an electric or stand mixer mix the flour, salt, sugar, baking powder, milk, eggs and vanilla. Once combined well, slowly stir in melted butter. Pour batter into a greased 9 x 13 inch baking pan.In a large bowl, mix the 2 sticks of softened butter, brown sugar, flour, cinnamon and nuts until well combined. Drop evenly over cake batter by the tablespoonfuls and use a knife to marble/swirl through the cake.Bake at 350 for 25-30 minutes or until toothpick comes out nearly clean from center.Place powdered sugar, milk and vanilla in a large bowl. Whisk until smooth. Drizzle over warm cake. Serve warm or at room temperature.

1 comments:

Jenny said...

Consider my name on the list!